Motorola Phone Portal - as opposed to Motorola Phone Tools - works differently. You connect up the phone, usb or wifi, and the android app gives you a URL to connect your browser too. That is, the phone runs it's own mini web server, from which you can browse & change things. See here.
Problem #1: the USB on my PC doesn't know it's a Motorola, so time for some drivers. Go and download the 4.7.1 driver with MotoConnect and install that. Search for USB and PC charging drivers, although that page doesn't say it supports android - it does.
How to make it work then:
- install charging and pc drivers
- plug in usb, wait for PC to sort itself out (ready?)
- on android, change the usb connection mode to "Portal and tools"
- on android, run the "Phone Portal" app
- with luck, that app will give you a URL to connect to (and you'll see a notification in the status bar, "Moto Phone Portal Running on USB @ http://192.168.16.2:8080")
- [optionally] unplug LAN cable so it's just PC & phone together
- [if you're lucky] your default browser will automatically open the phone's page (i.e. fetched from http://192.168.16.2:8080)
- view stuff... you need to run IE to operate File Manager, it basically kicks open a Windows Explorer window.
I particularly like the phone reporting it's signal strength as "Awesome".