1 old LaserJet 4L, the one without the mac goodies, just the parallel port, cost £0 from freecycle
1 parallel to usb cable, cost about £8 from ebuyer
1 copy of gutenprint (v5.0.1, cost £0, right here)
1 copy of usbtb (v1.0.15, cost £0, right here)
- plug in printer to power, but not usb cable...
- install Gutenprint on mac
- plug in printer usb cable to mac
- open printer setup (in Apps/Utilities) - remember to hold the ALT key when doing add printer, else you don't see the 'Advanced' menu
- read Gutenprint howto document (a rather good pdf), follow instruction there.
- be happy when printer is in printer list
- be happier still when you print a page and it works beautifully (if a little slow... hey, it's a 10 year old printer!)
Does it make things go faster? hard to say, will need to play, and i've not reason to disbelieve 'em...
As for the cable, I did find a whole bunch of expensive looking ones, and spurious reports that these expensive ones have 'special' stuff. Whatever, my cheap £8 one works just fine thanks. See ebuyer, product code 130599.
[update Feb 09; as per comment below, not working on 10.4 - can't retest myself...]